July 22, 2017
I succumbed to the urge to publish a nothing post on Thursday. I apologize. It had been days since I posted anything so I filled the space with an old picture and some half assed comment about midsummer. As in, “happy midsummer everybody.” I’ve never cared about midsummer in my life.
My personal disappointment got me thinking about why this journal exists, and what my motivation is for writing it:
- I love writing.
- I love and will always defend the open web, as in, my writing is on my site that can be seen by anyone, the posts are in reverse order of their publication and not subject to some bullshit algorithm.
- I’m writing to keep a record. The picture of me at a swimming pond in Connecticut has snapped me out of a funk more than once. The memory of that day is pure joy.
So then, after some deliberation, I’ve decided to set criteria for future posts:
- It can not be social media vomit (SMV); posting for the sake of posting with some fake tone of pseudo cleverness.
- What I write here has to have some semblance of entertainment value. I mean, I got a manicure the other day, do you give a shit about that? I didn’t think so.
- The writing has to be done well. I’m not great at copyediting, but I do reread my stuff several times to make sure that you, dear reader, are not wading through a mire of poor spelling and bad grammar.
Individual blogs, or journals, as I’ve chosen to call this space, should be considered a form of art, with one’s best efforts published and one’s half assed compulsions buried. To that end, my crap post from the 20th has been deleted. Have a good weekend.